[ih] birth of the Internet?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Oct 28 14:23:28 PDT 2010

Louis is correct. the CIX (commercial Internet eXchange) came into
being about 1989.

MAE-EAST/MAE-WEST arrived a bit later - perhaps somewhere in the 1992
time frame????

NAPS were "slope-funded" by NSF in the 1995-1998 (later?) period to
assure connectivity that had been provided by NSFNET that was retired
in 1995.

vint