[ih] birth of the Internet?

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Thu Oct 28 13:00:02 PDT 2010

The reverse actually happened.  Carrier neutral, commercial
interconnects were already well in operation by the time the
NAP concept came along.

There were carrier neutral exchange points in existence which at
least UUNET, Sprint, PSI and other had in use; these were operated
as a service by MFS Datanet and instigated by some of those initially
connected.  Initial interconnects were 10Mb/s Ethernet and various
other things followed.  For example, MAE-EAST, MAE-WEST.

Later, the NSF instigated these NAP interconnects, which were of
moderate success, depending on who you asked, and the particular
NAP exchange point in question.  MFS expanded the scope of their
interconnection solution and that mostly worked OK.  There was
the NY NAP in New Jersey operated by Sprint and I believe a Chicago
NAP operated by Ameritech at the time.  The latter was ATM based
and I suspect many lessons were learned from that experience.

To some extent, the NAPs were a bit redundant given some public
exchanges that were already in operation.  One of the other drivers
was as a funding source for some of the NSF regional networks for
connections.

There was also another federally funded exchange point or two,
the "FIX" that existed at around this time.  Various agency
networks (DoE, NASA, etc.) were interconnected here and at least
the FIX interconnect on the east coast in Washington was generally
aligned with the MAE-EAST interconnect fabric.

Louis Mamakos