[ih] birth of the Internet?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Oct 28 05:53:32 PDT 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 8:19 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been part of an interesting discussion, on another list, that's led to the question of when the Internet was actually "born."
>
> Was it:
> - when the ARPANET moved from NCP to TCP/IP?
> - when the ARPANET was split into two, linked backbones (ARPANET/MILNET)?
> - was there an earlier point at which IP was linking LANs across the ARPANET?
> - some other event?

Best to determine the criteria in the abstract, and then apply the
criteria to the above situations to determine the earliest match...

If one considers the Internet to be "a global system of interconnected
computer networks that use the standard Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP)",
then one would expect to have: 1) multiple interconnected networks, and
2) TCP/IP protocol.

/John