[ih] IP addresses are not phone numbers, was Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Sun Oct 17 22:43:32 PDT 2010

On 10/18/2010 1:31 AM, Tony Li wrote:
> Am I incorrect?  The documents that I can find claim that routing and
> addressing are both architecturally under the IETF.  As that's not a legal
> entity, the relevant parent is ISOC.

Ah, ok.  The 'isoc has authority over the ietf' model.

I think you meant that the IETF is not incorporated.  As I understand it, there
are a number of unincorporated legal entities (with the most familiar being
Doing Business As -- DBA.)  I'm told that they do have legal standing.  (One of
the discussions on this topic included an attorney telling us all what the legal
term was for an original, IETF-styled arrangement but I forget what it was.

Of course, now that there is the IETF Trust, even the IETF has an incorporated
component (albeit only designed for handling IPR.)

ISOC's oversight is extremely constrained and pertains strictly to process --
although their approval of an IAB Nomcom slate does sometimes get rather more
substantive.

I believe administrative delegations come from IETF standards.  I had not heard
that ISOC got into the middle of such processes.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking