[ih] IP addresses are not phone numbers, was Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Sun Oct 17 22:31:11 PDT 2010

On Oct 17, 2010, at 10:16 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> On 10/17/2010 6:33 PM, Tony Li wrote:
>> routing architecture is under the purview of ISOC
>
> ISOC ???

Am I incorrect?  The documents that I can find claim that routing and addressing are both architecturally under the IETF.  As that's not a legal entity, the relevant parent is ISOC.

>From there, the addressing portion is delegated to ICANN (specifically IANA), in turn to NRO, and in turn to RIRs.

Please see draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00 (Sections 2.1 and 2.2) for my understanding and references.

If there's something factually incorrect, please educate me.

Tony