[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Dr Eberhard Lisse el at lisse.NA
Thu Oct 14 07:08:10 PDT 2010

Ernesto,

I have always wondered what an IP address (and of course a domain name)
actually is, legally speaking.

But then, I am not a laywer, only an elderly Obstetrician (though, to
quote Eric "Otter" Stratton: "What's the difference?" (Yes, I know,
wishful thinking :-)-O)), but

greetings, el

on 2010-10-14 15:05 Ernesto Rubi said the following:
[...

> (a) As may be set forth in the Addendum, Qwest will secure domain names
> and assign IP address space (subject to reasonable availability) for the
> benefit of Customer during the Term, and Qwest will route those addresses
> on Qwest's network; it being understood and agreed that neither Customer
> nor any of its “Users” (as defined in the AUP) shall have the right to
> route these addresses. Customer understands and agrees that it shall have
> no ownership interest in any IP address which Qwest obtains on Customer's
> behalf and that Qwest shall retain ownership of all such IP addresses, and
> upon termination of the Agreement, Customer's access to and utilization of
> such IP addresses shall terminate.
>
> "ownership" is not defined anywhere else in the contract.
[...]

el at lisse.NA el108-ARIN / *     |   Telephone: +264 81 124 6733 (cell)
PO Box 8421             \     /   Please do NOT email to this address
Bachbrecht, Namibia     ;____/        if it is DNS related in ANY way