[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Scott Brim sbrim at cisco.com
Tue Oct 12 10:45:52 PDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 13:00 EDT, John Day wrote:
> The problem with the Internet architecture has never been separating
> locator from identifier, but separating physical "location" from logical
> "location" and having a "location-independent" identifier as well.

I'm always willing to follow this digression, although perhaps we should
change the subject.  Yes, loc/id separation was never a problem in
routing or just in layer 3 (our fault for looking under the street
lights).  Essentially, the problem is to wean any and all identification
functions, wherever they may be, away from using topology-dependent
inputs.  Routing and forwarding can use whatever they want.

Scott