[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 10:00:31 PDT 2010

Noel
Are you still wrapped around the pseudo problem of separating locator
from identity?  Haven't you noticed the fundamental flaw in your
reasoning?  This is why LISP ran into scaling problems.

You can't locate something without identifying it and vice versa.
See Saltzer 1977. definition of "resolve."

The problem with the Internet architecture has never been separating
locator from identifier, but separating physical "location" from
logical "location" and having a "location-independent" identifier as
well.  Actually, even these location-independent identifiers are
location-dependent in some sense, it is just that the sense of
"location" is much different than the other two.

Your interpretation of phone numbers is correct.  As I noted, they
are currently location-independent identifiers not addresses.  As I
also noted in an early note, MAC addresses are not addresses either
for the same reason.

Take care,
John