[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Ernie Rubi ernesto at cs.fiu.edu
Mon Oct 11 15:01:59 PDT 2010

Thanks, on my way to the library for the book.

ARIN has these Legacy RSA's that they want folks to sign; although I don't know who would if they were trying to make a case that IP addresses were "theirs."  ARIN also has told me that IP addresses 'don't belong to anyone.'

That last statement I find funny - a legal entity (ARIN) contracts to allocate/assign IP addresses that it doesn't 'own' but says you can't give the IP addresses it assigns you to others.

ARIN also says you can get in legal trouble for prefix hijacking, although those who have the IP address don't 'own' it and ARIN doesn't 'own' it.  It seems that the only legal claims could be brought by the US government (or whomever was the 'contractor' for IPv4 address development).

Wonder if Vint Cerf is around these parts to shed some more insight on the legal aspect of v4 'ownership.'  This research paper was inspired in part by the IGF talk/exchange on IPv4 'markets' that he was part of just last month.

Ernie