[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 14:52:38 PDT 2010

I'm no expert on IP addressing issues, but you may want to consult Laura
DeNardis' new-ish book *Protocol
Politics<http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11893>
.*
*
*
*I think, however, you're going to get into murky territory when it comes to
attributing the legal status of these things early on.  But I believe the
basic idea is this: because TCP/IP was created at (at first used by)
DDN/ARPA, the administrative authorities for those networks distributed the
addresses (IANA was really just Postel under contract with the DoD, though
it is my understanding that the NIC had this duty for a while).*
*
*
*In terms of issues with distribution of large IP address blocks of
different classes, again, DeNardis does a really good job breaking it down
in her book.  It's a quick read too -- you can probably pound through it in
a day.
*

--
Eric