[ih] Google's Usenet Archives...Broken?

Guillaume Latzko-Toth latzko-toth.guillaume at uqam.ca
Wed Mar 17 21:33:47 PDT 2010

I faced the same problem in my research: Google Groups search feature
is disappointing. To the point I suspect it is on purpose...
Whatever, here is a turn-around, that worked well for me. If an
archive exists for the group, for a specific period, you can browse
the posts by month, by using this URL format :

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.antiques/browse_frm/month/1995-01>http://groups.google.com/group/<groupname>/browse_frm/month/YYYY-MM

where <groupname> is the name of the group (ex: rec.antique), YYYY is
the year, and MM the month (for instance: 1995-01). So, with my
example, the URL would be:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.antiques/browse_frm/month/1995-01>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.antiques/browse_frm/month/1995-01

You can then browse back (or forth) month by month or year by year by
manually changing the date in the URL. I tested the method with
comp.protocols.dns.std, and found that it was created in September 1996 (see:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dns.std/browse_frm/month/1996-09>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dns.std/browse_frm/month/1996-09).

I would be very interested in reading other experiences with (and
tips for) Usenet archives exploration...

Regards,
Guillaume Latzko-Toth