[ih] Google's Usenet Archives...Broken?

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 12:45:05 PDT 2010

All:
Has anyone been able to successfully search Google's Usenet archives?  I am
able to get basic results through browsing, but anytime I try to put in a
specific search it returns no results (even when there are *definitely*
results).  Trying to sort or search by date is the biggest problem.  I can
get access to a group (such as comp.protocols.dns.std), but it lists from
the most recent posts first.  The "list by oldest" filter doesn't work, and
I cannot possibly click "Older" enough times to go through 30k posts.

The last time I was able to perform good searches was back in September.  I
found a Wired article that addresses this at the end of the past year, and
commented that Google had fixed or was fixing the problem, but I still can't
make any productive use of this system.

This Usenet archive should be a vital component of my research, if I can get
to it.  Are there any other Usenet archives that go back to the early 80s
other than Google?  I was under the impression that Google was the only one.

--
Eric Gade