[ih] principles of the internet

Matthias Bärwolff mbaer at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 2 02:08:15 PDT 2010

On 06/02/2010 03:35 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> On 1 Jun 2010 at 20:44, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>
>> And if you go look at the detail in 1822, there is an error code in there for
>> 'packet not received at the other end', with the implication that it's up to
>> the host to retry (although as we previously discussed some months back, no
>> host seems to have actually done so, since in practise the network was too
>> reliable to bother).
>
> I don't have a copy of 1822, but weren't there some kind of no-rfnm
> packets and perhaps that was an error for those?  [it was what the folks
> doing speech over the ARPAnet were using for 'streaming audio', such as
> it was over 56K lines].  [gad, I'm getting really senile: I can't
> remember what those kinds of packets were but the setup was basically a
> foreshadow of the distinction later between using UDP or TCP]

Sure, the "raw messages", introduced in 1974 -- one packet messages, no
flow control, no end-to-end acknowledgments, just sending it off and
hoping for the best. They were used internally to get IMP statistics to
the NCC, and used by a handful of sites in packet speech experiments.

Matthias

--
Matthias Bärwolff
www.bärwolff.de