[ih] principles of the internet

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Tue Jun 1 18:35:18 PDT 2010

On 1 Jun 2010 at 20:44, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> And if you go look at the detail in 1822, there is an error code in there for
> 'packet not received at the other end', with the implication that it's up to
> the host to retry (although as we previously discussed some months back, no
> host seems to have actually done so, since in practise the network was too
> reliable to bother).

I don't have a copy of 1822, but weren't there some kind of no-rfnm
packets and perhaps that was an error for those?  [it was what the folks
doing speech over the ARPAnet were using for 'streaming audio', such as
it was over 56K lines].  [gad, I'm getting really senile: I can't
remember what those kinds of packets were but the setup was basically a
foreshadow of the distinction later between using UDP or TCP]

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA