[ih] principles of the internet

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 11:56:58 PDT 2010

At 11:28 -0700 2010/06/01, Dave Crocker wrote:
>On 6/1/2010 11:10 AM, John Day wrote:
>>    I am not ready to
>>concede that what we have seen so far is representative of the space.
>
>I'm pretty sure that nearly 40 years and some billions of users
>qualifies as 'representative'.  Far from ideal and certainly with
>plenty of terrain yet to be covered, but still solidly qualifying
>for a number of definitions of representative...

This is a common mistake.  Billions of users doing the same thing is
not an exploration of the problem space any more than lots of
implementations in daily use is stress testing.

>>However, it is true that for data transfer protocols all properly
>>designed ones are both symmetrical and soft state. Of course, it is
>>always possible to botch the job and violate that rule.

>>>like HTTP?
>
>My point was there there is an enormous range of value-add
>functionality built on top of HTTP, which much of the world views as
>a transport protocol.

Transport protocols are characterized by feedback mechanisms
requiring synchronization.  I was very careful to distinguish the
application protocol from the application.  The fact that much of the
world views it as a Transport protocol merely indicates the failure
of education.

It remains that building another protocol on top of an asymmetric
protocol has always proved cumbersome.

>>>I assume that the goal of this exercise requires ignoring the rather
>>>remarkable complexity that has crept into much of the recent work in
>>>the IETF?
>>
>>Actually, I was referring to the choice of SNMP [sic] over HEMS.
>
>Then you will be amused to spend time wandering around many of the
>more recent exercises.  You'll probably most enjoy anything from the
>RAI area, but possibly also mobility and...

Well, the mobility stuff is laboring under the weight of trying to do
something with half an architecture.  Not surprising it is such a
mess.

Take care,
John