[ih] principles of the internet

Dave Crocker dcrocker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 11:28:17 PDT 2010

On 6/1/2010 11:10 AM, John Day wrote:
>    I am not ready to
> concede that what we have seen so far is representative of the space.

I'm pretty sure that nearly 40 years and some billions of users qualifies as
'representative'.  Far from ideal and certainly with plenty of terrain yet to be
covered, but still solidly qualifying for a number of definitions of
representative...

> However, it is true that for data transfer protocols all properly
> designed ones are both symmetrical and soft state. Of course, it is
> always possible to botch the job and violate that rule.
>

>>> It is the case that once an asymmetrical protocol is introduced into an
>>> architecture, it makes very difficult to build anything on top of it.
>>
>> like HTTP?

My point was there there is an enormous range of value-add functionality built
on top of HTTP, which much of the world views as a transport protocol.

>> I assume that the goal of this exercise requires ignoring the rather
>> remarkable complexity that has crept into much of the recent work in
>> the IETF?
>
> Actually, I was referring to the choice of SNMP [sic] over HEMS.

Then you will be amused to spend time wandering around many of the more recent
exercises.  You'll probably most enjoy anything from the RAI area, but possibly
also mobility and...

d/
--

   Dave Crocker