[ih] ARPANet anniversary

rick tait rickt at rickt.org
Fri Oct 30 10:43:32 PDT 2009

I was lucky enough to attend the "40th Anniversary of the Internet"
conference yesterday, a one-day event held at the UCLA Henry Samueli School
of Engineering & Applied Science. Prof. Kleinrock acted as MC throughout the
day, Nicholas Negroponte gave an excellent keynote, and a wide-ranging
series of panels and moderated discussions were held. It was jolly good, and
I had a great time. The program list is here, and includes a full list of
the speakers and points of discussion:

http://www.engineer.ucla.edu/IA40/program.html

I understand the entire event was broadcast live on ustream, and was also
recorded so anyone can watch any of the speeches or discussions. They are
archived here:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/internet-40th-anniversary-ucla

I'd highly recommend watching the speech by the newly-appointed Director of
DARPA (Regina E. Dugan); it was so very refreshing to see a fairly young,
non-male head of a serious US.gov agency. And she really seems to "get it".

Her speech is here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2448272

Best,
Rick Tait
UNIX Engineer & on-net for 19 of those 40 years.