[ih] ARPANet anniversary

Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan chris at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 30 10:13:50 PDT 2009

NPR's All Things Considered yesterday seems to be the best of the
descriptions, written by Guy Raz NPR:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114280698

And Guy Raz will have more stories, the next one will be tomorrow Oct
31st about ARPANET's beginnings on Saturday's All Things Considered.

Chris

On Oct 30, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> So, Fox news has a nice little segment about how today is the 40th
> anniversary
> of the ARPANet. The usual journalistic mistakes abound: they said it
> was the
> 40th anniversary of the Internet - which I can sort of forgive them
> for - and
> also the 40th anniversary of the WWW - which is a little less
> excusable.
>
> Still, at least they covered it: I saw nothing on CNN (either the
> main page, or
> the technology section), nor on the NYT site (ditto).
>
> The thing that was most irritating is that it was very Kleinrock-
> centric,
> leaving out Licklider (one especially irritating segment went on about
> 'computers talking to people', or words to that effect, leaving out
> Lick's key
> role in that idea), Taylor, Roberts, etc.
>
>     Noel

Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan
(chris at cs.utexas.edu)
Contact info:  www.cs.utexas.edu/~chris/