[ih] [ipv6] IP versions explained

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Nov 7 09:59:54 PST 2009

Depends on how you define "documented"...do the TCP Working Group
distributions qualify?

The "TCP Meeting Notes", written by Jon Postel and emailed to
[isie]<postel>TCP-Working-Group.List on 21 Oct 1977 1728-PDT, documented
the activity at the meeting of 13-14 October 1977.  The first agenda
item was "Discussion of TCP-3" and the notes say that "Vint spoke first
and outlined his goal for the meeting: 'Define TCP-3'"  An extensive
summary of the discussions follows - Rubber EOL, Resynchronization,
Three Way Handshake, etc.  There is also an appendix: "Proposal for TCP
3" by Ray Tomlinson, dated 12 October 1977.

There was also "Discussion of TCP-4" on the agenda.  One of the action
items for Jon was "TCP-3 Specification: draft in two weeks, final two
weeks after that - Postel"  From the notes, the idea was to write down a
TCP-3 spec, which provided only reliable-transport service, and then
focus on TCP-4, to provide also an unreliable datagram service for
applications such as packet voice, conferencing, and such that were
clamoring for support.  The splitting of the headers in version 3
enabled the creation of protocols above IP that were not TCP - e.g., UDP
et al for voice.  It also made possible the variety of fun and games of
internet plumbers - e.g., running SPX over IPX over IP to glue together
Netware-islands via the Internet (and vice versa).

As far as I remember, there was only one implementation of TCP V3, I
think by Ford Aero, which couldn't find anyone to communicate with,
since the rest of us were very quickly running on the rapidly congealing
TCP4 architecture (which then produced the spec in June 78).   Specs
always came well after code, when we knew the ideas and technical
approaches actually seemed to work OK in the live net.

As I recall, the main pressure for TCP-3 was a result of the DoD
standardizing on TCP, and needing a formal spec for inclusion in
contracts.  The research group was reluctant (to put it mildly) to nail
things down with so many unresolved issues - which took another 6 months
or so to congeal into the TCP4 design.

There's some fascinating experiences in all of this with respect to the
challenge of taking a technology from research to production.   The
research-side pattern was meeting, discussion, arguments, write the
code, get it working, repeat until interrupt: oh yeah, I guess we need
to write a spec.  The production-side pattern was write the spec, get
everyone to approve it, issue rfps, issue contracts, write code, pass
the acceptance tests, deploy it to the users, see it it works.

Once TCP/IP got out of the realm where all of the implementors could sit
together in a room or on a mailing list and argue, it became harder to
change things.  Research goals never seem to include "must be easily
upgradeable without disruption to current operations."

I think we all expected TCP V5, 6 etc. to come along in rapid succession
- certainly not decades!  But once those pesky users enter the scene,
the world is different....as we learned in doing things like the
NCP->TCP transition in 1983 and all of the machinery and procedures that
had to be invented to make it work.

/Jack Haverty
Point Arena, CA