[ih] [ipv6] IP versions explained

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sat Nov 7 07:23:43 PST 2009

i did some digging around.

The first documented split of IP from TCP came with TCP v3 which was
published as IEN21 in January 1978. The "internetwork header" showed a
variable length (!) source and destination address field among other
things, separate from the TCP header. This was subsequently revised in
TCP 3.1 in Feb 1978  with IENs 26, 27, 28 and again, in June 1978 with
IPv4 and TCPv4 in IENs 40 (TCP) and 41(IP).

IPv5 was an excursion into streaming communication but was abandoned.