[ih] [ipv6] IP versions explained

Steve Deering deering at brunzel.org
Sat Nov 7 13:36:50 PST 2009

> On Nov 7, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Steve Wilcox wrote:
>> ... I think what happened in the 90s and before is not well
>> recorded.. perhaps time to write it up? :-)

Regarding the '90s and IP version numbers greater than 4...

Version 5 was assigned to the Stream Protocol, ST (see RFC 1190).  ST
was designed not as a successor to IP, but rather as a companion
protocol to IP, providing a stream- or circuit-oriented internet-layer
service.   It used the same ether-type as IP, and relied on the IP
version number (first 4 bits of the header) to distinguish ST from
IP.  There were multiple implementations of ST, and it was used in the
'80s and '90s to support experiments (and perhaps production use?) in
"real-time" applications such as teleconferencing.

The protocol now know as IPv6 was primarily derived from my proposed
IPv4 successor called SIP (Simple Internet Protocol).  Originally, SIP
did not include an IP version number field and used a separate ether-
type.  Several prototype implementations of SIP were undertaken, and
the requirement to use a new ether-type created an obstacle for at
least one of those implementations (probably on some early version of
Windows), so I changed the specification of SIP to include an IP
version number field and to use the same ether-type as IPv4.

I therefore applied to IANA for an IP version number to use in SIP
prototypes, and was assigned number 6, because that was the next
available value.  In order not to be seen as "blessing" SIP as the
next version of IP,  Jon at the same time assigned IP version numbers
to all the other IPng candidates then under consideration in the IETF,
even though their headers didn't have or require an IP version number
field.  The assignments were as follows:

   6 - SIP
   7 - TP/IX
   8 - PIP
   9 - TUBA

About a year later, we in the SIP (later SIPP) Working Group received
reports of a problem arising in the deployment of ST.   Apparently,
ST had been failing in some environments because of intermediate
devices -- not routers, but rather things like layer-2 switches or
security devices -- that were snooping in IP headers and taking some
action (such as discarding packets) based on what they found.
Unfortunately, those devices were identifying IP packets simply by
ether-type, and were failing to verify the IP version number before
proceeding to parse other parts of the IP header.  Despite the fact
that those devices were clearly "in the wrong", we decided to go back
to using the separate ether-type for SIP so that we wouldn't risk
encountering the same deployment problem as ST.  So that's how IPv6
ended up with the redundancy of both an IP version number field and
its own ether-type.

Steve