[ih] ARPANet anniversary

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Nov 2 09:31:59 PST 2009

Dave CROCKER wrote:

> Vint Cerf wrote:
>>  But going
>> end-end through the BBN 1822 host/IMP interfaces would be the key to
>> noel's metric (and mine as I agree with him).
>

> +1
>
> In spite of being another UCLA guy, I'm a bit embarrassed by its being
> touted as the birth of the Internet, given the earlier work elsewhere.
> That said I do believe that at legitimate host-to-host, end-to-end,
> packet-based demonstration would be the best criterion for declaring the
> live birth of the world we now call the Internet.   It would be the
> networking equivalent of "Watson, come here; I need you."
>
> If that was at BBN, fine. If it was the first long-distance exchange,
> between two sites fine. However the demo at UCLA seems to be the most
> touted.
>
> But we should perhaps first settle on the criteria.

How does this incident and history's view of it compare to the "What
Hath God Wrought" and "Watson, Come here, I need you" incidents.

Remember, History is written by the winners.

--
Requiescas in pace o email              Two identifying characteristics
                                              of System Administrators:

ICBM Targeting Information:
	http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
	http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml