[ih] ARPANet anniversary

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Mon Nov 2 10:33:28 PST 2009

On 2 Nov 2009 at 11:06, Vint Cerf wrote:

> .... But going end-end through the BBN 1822 host/IMP
> interfaces would be the key to noel's metric (and mine as I agree with
> him).

I guess I disagree -- *IF* it was actually a successful communication
[which as I understand took a while longer, since the original "test"
crashed], then that'd be right: the first time someone at UCLA
*LOGGED*IN* to SRI.  YAY!!  -- does anyone know when *THAT* actually
happened??

But the actual test that Len has ensured is fabled in story and song
exercised little that hadn't/couldn't be tested previously.  The sigma-7
had already communicated with its IMP [through its 1822 interface and as
far as the sigma-7 was concerned was as end-to-end as any other].  I know
Ben reported helping Mike Wingfield with the interface while he was there
and I helped debug another problem with the interface some time later
[but before the SRI connection]].  I actually don't know what happened at
SRI prior to its connection [there's no reason I can see why they
couldn't have tried to "log in" locally from the IMP TTY but I don't know
a lot about the host side of those tests].

As for history written by the 'winner' -- that's not exactly right: often
it is written by the person with the best PR instincts.

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA