[ih] ARPANet anniversary

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Nov 2 09:11:38 PST 2009

Vint Cerf wrote:
>  But going
> end-end through the BBN 1822 host/IMP interfaces would be the key to
> noel's metric (and mine as I agree with him).

+1

In spite of being another UCLA guy, I'm a bit embarrassed by its being touted as
the birth of the Internet, given the earlier work elsewhere.  That said I do
believe that at legitimate host-to-host, end-to-end, packet-based demonstration
would be the best criterion for declaring the live birth of the world we now
call the Internet.   It would be the networking equivalent of "Watson, come
here; I need you."

If that was at BBN, fine. If it was the first long-distance exchange, between
two sites fine. However the demo at UCLA seems to be the most touted.

But we should perhaps first settle on the criteria.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking