[ih] EGP vs. BGP

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Aug 18 09:57:15 PDT 2009

Vint Cerf wrote:
> The design contemplated multiple networks and alternate paths from the
> start. The configuration of the 3 net test artificially forced traffic from
> PRNET to ARPANET toSATNET to ARPANET again. The routing protocol in ginny
> strazisar's gateways was distance vector and I believe would handle multiple
> paths and backbones. V

OK.

So, did EGP reflect this flexibility?

(I am remembering the anecdote of Bob Bradent's working from UCL back to ISI
over a satellite link, having it freeze when the line go down, go off to have
lunch or dinner, and return to a resumed connection; TCP doesn't have timeouts
and it was only later that o/s implementations made them common. I am wondering
whether the constraint to a single backbone for the Internet was an
implementation choice, rather than being mandated by the standard routing protocol.)

Hence, what were the incremental benefits provided by BGP?

d/

ps. This list is
--

   Dave Crocker