[ih] EGP vs. BGP

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Aug 18 12:31:45 PDT 2009

Dave,

The EGP specification rfc904 includes a hop count field, but not how to
use it. The Fuzzball implemented a Bellman-Ford routing algorihtm with
split horizon and hold down. Late in life it connected about 1500
networks and the ARPAnet implementation. The major change with BGP was a
serious approach to loop prevention. The Fuzzballs had a weaker approach
to loop prevention using crafted metric transformations between the RIP,
GGP, EGP and Hello routing protocols.

Dave