[ih] AT&T, carterfone, the 103, and why didnt BBSs start earlier?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Aug 14 15:26:13 PDT 2009

    > From: Larry Press <lpress at csudh.edu>

    > the 650 ... was a drum machine -- programmers placed instructions on
    > the drum in order to minimize latency.
    > I believe the 305 RAMAC ... 704, 709, 1401 and also came between the
    > 650 and the 1620. I think the 701 preceded the 650. (There was also the
    > 604 -- card I/O -- an electronic calculator programmed using plug
    > boards and with registers, but no stored program).

For those who are interested in early IBM computers, there's a good book on them:

    Charles J. Bashe, Lyle R. Johnson, John H. Palmer, Emerson W. Pugh,
	"IBM's Early Computers", MIT Press, Cambridge, 1986

There are some other references on those machines too - if anyone is
interested, let me know, and I'll dig 'em up.

	Noel