[ih] AT&T, carterfone, the 103, and why didnt BBSs start earlier?

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Fri Aug 14 14:32:37 PDT 2009

> And before the 1620 there was the 650.   It was a relatively small
> computer, too, no? [they retired it the year before I arrived].

I came after the 650 also, but heard about it from the old timers (gulp
:-).  It was a drum machine -- programmers placed instructions on the
drum in order to minimize latency.

I believe the 305 RAMAC (first disk drive -- had a drum for stored
programs and also plug boards), 704, 709, 1401 and also came between the
650 and the 1620.  I think the 701 preceded the 650.  (There was also
the 604 -- card I/O -- an electronic calculator programmed using plug
boards and with registers, but no stored program).

Lar