[ih] SATNET (seismic data, Norway, UK)

Johnny RYAN johnnyryan1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 13:03:37 PDT 2009

Dear All,

Thanks you for your responses on Carterfone. But if I may be so bold,
one other...

>From papers of Peter Kirsten and Robert Kahn, it looks like seismic
data transfer was an important reason to pursue SATNET, presumably
particularly so in the context of the Mansfield Amendment --- were
there other important reasons?

The sequence for SATNET as I understand it is

------------------
Background events re seismic data....
1957 - 'Rainier', US first underground nuclear test, detected by
seismic instruments across the globe
1963, Limited Test Ban Treaty, 116 nations commit to underground testing
1970, US starts recieving seismic data from NORSAR at Kjeller, Norway
(seismic data went by cable from Norway to UK and then by satellite to
US).
1972, seismic data goes to US through Sweden by Satellite

1973, ARPANET connects by satellite to UCL and University of Hawaii
1975, SATNET initiated - US link to UK (British Post Office and UCL)
using Intelisat IV
1977, Norweigan Defense Establishment link by satellite

Does this sound right?

Johnny

--
My Next Book... http://johnnyryan.wordpress.com/books/net-history-2010/