[ih] AT&T, carterfone, the 103, and why didnt BBSs start earlier?

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Fri Aug 14 05:47:16 PDT 2009

On 13 Aug 2009 at 18:43, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> Randy Bush wrote:
> > ... an ibm lameframe, and there were only lameframes in '62,
>
> Just within the IBM stable, in the early 60s, 7090s [1] were mainframes, but the
> 1401 [2] and 1620 [3] definitely were not.
>
> The 1620 introduced a lot of folk to computing.

That would include me -- hacking the 1620 [with a 407 and a Friden
"square root" calculator thrown in for variety] started me down my path
to ruin.

And before the 1620 there was the 650.   It was a relatively small
computer, too, no? [they retired it the year before I arrived].

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA