[ih] AT&T, carterfone, the 103, and why didnt BBSs start earlier?

Larry Press lpress at csudh.edu
Fri Aug 14 10:11:52 PDT 2009

Randy Bush wrote:

>> I'm pretty sure that no
  one could actually see the other boxes behind
>> a 7090 :-)

At UCLA Western Data Processing Center (709 - 1090 - 1094) we processed
remote jobs, but card images were transmitted in to a high speed (500
CPS?) paper tape punch, converted to mag tape using an off-line 1401,
and fed to a batch processing OS on the mainframe.

The 7090/94 and a 1410 were connected to a shared 1301 disk drive.  I
worked on a 1410 system that replaced the off-line 1401s by putting jobs
on the 1301 and spooling printouts from the 1301 -- no tape mounting and
the 1410 could have multiple card readers and printers.  (The 1410,
unlike the 1401, could handle I/O interrupts and it had indirect
addressing).  We had lots of hardware hassle -- the 1410 was built by a
different division within IBM than the 1301 and 7000 machines.

Memory lane ...

Lar