[ih] AT&T, carterfone, the 103, and why didnt BBSs start earlier?

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Aug 14 12:21:35 PDT 2009

The CS Dept computing center provided TSS on the 360s with a few
terminals (selectrix), but the performance and user interface was so
bad no one (at least in our project) bothered with it.  Everything
about them was so backward it was a waste of time.

By 1970, the IBM equipment on campus was barely tolerated and left to
the clueless.

One professor teaching an "OS course" who believed that IBM walked on
water. He would make these sweeping statements and one of our guys
kept objecting. They finally reached a truce and our guy was given 3
lectures at the end of the course to explain how non-IBM systems
worked.

But as we all know, sales and marketing counts for more than
engineering and scientific excellence.