[ih] A laugh and a question

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Mar 13 07:15:16 PST 2006

Louis,

One of my enduring war stories with the Fuzzball was during the checkout
of the GGP program written by Ginny Strazisar at BBN. I started the
Fuzzball program with GGP running and noticed that first the gateway I
was talking to crashed, then each of the other GGP gateways crashed in
turn. I later discovered that my GGP update was flawed and that each GGP
gateway that received it copied its neighbors and then expired.

Funny thing is the same kind of problem brought down the entire AT&T
network in January 1990. Took them ten hours to fix the problem and
bring the network back up. Problem was a misplaced "}" in one of the 3B2
computer programs. An overloaded ESS switch in Manhattan rebooted and
sent out a recovery message that rebooted its neighbor and the dance was
on for all 114 switches in the network.

Dave