[ih] A laugh and a question

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Sun Mar 12 20:21:33 PST 2006

I'm pretty certain that the fuzzball PING existed before the PING that
Mike wrote at BRL.  I distinctly remember crashing one of their VAXen on
the eve of the NCP/TCP transition with PING from one of my fuzzballs.
There was a double-free() for the mbuf containing the ICMP echo.  I
don't recall if they were running the BBN stack, or an early 4.1BSD version.

In fact, I crashed it two or three times before I noticed the connection
between my testing activities and er, the failure of my tests.  This I
confirmed in a conversation with Ron Natalie, then of BRL.  "Ron, did
your VAX just crash?  ..uh, yeah, why do you ask?"  This might have been
BRL-VGR, but I might be imagining that.

I also recall testing the ICMP code in the UNIVAC 1100 IP stack Mike
Petry and I wrote during the same time, perhaps during 1981 - 1983, with
the fuzzball PING command as well.

louie