[ih] A laugh and a question

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Mar 13 06:59:40 PST 2006

Noel,

The only known context about the era is in the COMSAT final report on
the DARPA Atlantic SATnet Program, published in 1979, and the SATnet
coming-out party at the National Computer Conference in November, 1979.
The Fuzzball was prominent in both projects, most notable as the vehicle
for demonstrating speech, FAX and messaging between Washington, DC, and
London. A ping capability was employed in both projects, but I can't
definitively say the ping acronym was used.

There were a number of quarterly project reports, Internet monthly
project reports and related data still in existence. They are embalmed
on eight-inch, double-sided, high-density floppy disks (sic). All drives
known to me that can read those disks have joined the IBM 9-track tape
drives recording my past lives on the scrap heap.

Dave