[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

Jake Feinler feinler at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 4 17:48:57 PST 2005

Hi Phil!

How are you, and what are you doing these days?  As I recollect there
were IFIP groups that came up with the earliest versions of the CCITT
protocols, and they then went through the usual ISO/CCITT approval
process.  We have the CCITT yellow books (which I think preceded the
red books)  and I have a ton of protocol stuff that we collected at the
NIC for DCA way back when.  I volunteer for the museum now and am in
the process of trying to organize years of papers that were dumped
(literally) together several times, so don't know if I can find what
you are looking for.  I will give it a try next Weds. when I am down at
the museum again.

If we do have the documents you want, Paula Jabloner, the museum
Archivist would have to approve the lending procedures.  Her email is
jabloner at computerhistory.org.

Regards,

Jake Feinler
On Dec 2, 2005, at 12:00 PM, internet-history-request at postel.org wrote:

>    1. Protocol layering (Phill Gross)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:51:53 -0500
> From: "Phill Gross" <pgross at pgross.net>
> Subject: [ih] Protocol layering
> To: <internet-history at postel.org>
> Cc: comer at cs.purdue.edu
>
> I am looking for some specific information on protocol layering and
> architecture, and Bob Braden suggested this list might be a good
> source.
>
> 1. Does anyone have pointers to or copies of pre-1984 drafts of the OSI
> reference model (either X.200 or ISO 7498)?  I already have the 1984
> CCITT
> Red book which contains X.200.
>
> There are references to 1978 versions of both X.200 and 7498.  But
> I've not
> been able to find an actual copy of either. (Also, assuming a copy is
> available, do we still need to satisfy ITU/ISO distribution
> restrictions for
> these old drafts?)

Probably not, but as I said above, Paula is the last word on these
issues.