[ih] ARPA initial IMP-IMP line speed

Louis A. Mamakos louie at TransSys.COM
Tue Feb 24 11:25:32 PST 2004

> Dave,
>
> My point is IMP-IMP fact.
> I thought there must be some people who handled the IMPs
> and they must know the fact.
>
> If early ARPAnet used the multiplexed or wideband modem for
> IMP-IMP communication, it might be new news to many people
> and it should be described on the internet history.
>
> Do you know somebody who handled the communication portion of the IMP ?

I think that multiple people already confirmed that the ARPANET IMP/PSNs
were interconnected at 50kb/s.  I think you can consider that a fact.

I was there, though later on with DDS circuit provisioning on ARPANET
IMP (then called "PSN") number 17.  I did, however, see a couple of early
ARPANET IMP sites with the old analog wideband modems.  Most of the
discussion subsequent to that has been to explain how "wideband"
telecom circuits might have been provisioned by AT&T at the time.
That's interesting, though there are likely many other venues that
might have move detailed history of AT&T and the stuff they deployed
in the field.

louie