[ih] ARPA initial IMP-IMP line speed

Mike Brescia m.brescia at comcast.net
Sun Feb 22 20:19:39 PST 2004

>There are lots of documents mentioning the initial line speed of ARPAnet in
>1969 was 50Kbps.

That was the speed of the modem.

>As far as I know, the line speed at that time over the voice band
>transmission was
>less than 9,600bps. Most probably 4,800bps or 2,400bps.

The best voice band modem available then coded 9600 bps on 1200 baud
half-duplex; for full duplex you would need 4 wires (two "phone
lines") which were "conditioned" (at least tested for quality, maybe
more).

>Some document says 50Kbps over analog wideband. But this causes other
>question of what modem was used and who provided that.

The 50kb was called "wideband" because it did baseband signalling at
a rate higher than the 3kHz voice bandwidth, in other words, the data
signalling was actually 50kbaud, not like today's 50+kbps on top of
1200 baud (remember Nyquist)

I'm really out of my depth here, but recollection is that the lines
(4-wire again) were bare copper, no filters etc, and had to be
specially patched through each level of the telco office wiring.  The
wiring had to maintain DC polarity correctly, otherwise the data came
out inverted.  For "long" distances, there must have been some sort
of repeater.

You really need to find someone familiar with the circuitry and signalling.

Regards,
  -- Mike