[ih] Finding the ARPA's Request for quotation (july-august 1968)

J. Noel Chiappa jnc at ginger.lcs.mit.edu
Mon May 12 11:08:08 PDT 2003

    > From: "Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan" <chris at cs.utexas.edu>

    > I have scanned the RFQ as pdf images and it is here:
    > ..
    > Additionally: the other network design related documents that are not
    > widely available which I have put online can be found here:
    > ..
    > When I get some more funding, I will continue with this activity.

Wow! What a collection of great stuff!

I don't have time to comment on the Internet stuff, but for the early
ARPAnet, I would also highly suggest BBN's proposal in response to that RFQ,
a massive tome (about 200 pages) called "IMP P69-IST-5", from 6 September,
1968.

Another very important and hard-to-find ARPANet document is BBN Report 3803,
which is where the problems with the ARPAnet's original Destination-Vector
routing architecture were studied, and the routing architecture now called
"link state" proposed to replace it.

You might want to try and touch base with Katie Hafner, who did the definitive
history of the early ARPANet ("When Wizards Stay up Late", I think is the
title), and see if she has any suggestions for additional critical materials.

	Noel