[ih] Cluster Addressing and CIDR

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 14 16:47:28 PST 2003

Ted Faber wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 03:16:45PM -0800, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>>David P. Reed wrote:
>>
>>>IMO, standing behind copyright really distorts the issue of desirable
>>>dissemination of knowledge and scientific knowledge, in particular.
>>
>>Doing things that violate private rights for the "public good," despite
>>the current fashion, are detestable.
>

> You're posting angry again, Joe. :-)
>
> That statement is false on its face (and I think your earlier statements
> about your rights to stop publication were also a little too sweeping).
> Most laws are about balancing public goods and private rights, and I
> know you know it.  My private right to free speech is violated in
> crowded movie houses all over the country for the public good of
> avoiding mass tramplings.
>
> Maybe you'd like to unpublish this one. :-)

Unpublishing isn't the issue, FWIW; the issue is permission to publish
for a finite period of time. That's fairly common. When the granted time
expires, the source is no longer permitted to publish.

Putting things on web servers is publishing. I never said I could erase
things from archives, just prohibit them from being put on web servers
everyone could access.

As to balancing public good, I agree. I said _violate_, not balance.

Joe