[ih] Cluster Addressing and CIDR

Geoff Huston gih at telstra.net
Tue Jan 14 11:57:51 PST 2003

>The thing that makes IDs unique is _exactly_ the fact that they are NOT
>archived. Were that property to disappear, there would be a void.

This is a curious claim in so far as they _are_ archived,  all over the
world in thousands of
locations. There is no concept in today's world of being able to
'unpublish" anything, or to
be able to withdraw a document from the online public space. IETF meeting
proceedings
publish and archive the drafts used by the WGs at the time. Google has more
than an
significant number of hits for expired drafts, and so on.

Regardless of the merits of Joe's arguments, and I must admit that there is
considerable
merit in his view of the role of drafts, the harsh reality is that these
documents
do not and will not disappear from public availability. Accordingly, It
makes more sense
to me to recognize and work within the  characteristics and properties of
the world we
live in than to insist that somehow something that is happening should not
happen and
that we should behave as if it is not happening.

But this is well beyond Internet History and I will not post further on
this topic to this mailer.
My apologies for the diversion.

regards,

   Geoff