[ih] Cluster Addressing and CIDR

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Jan 14 09:24:33 PST 2003

Lloyd Wood wrote:

> Yes, but the process becomes increasingly formalised - originally RFCs
> were informal and barriers to publication were low. Now RFCs are
> formal and the draft process formalises the documents while rasising
> the barrier to publication as an RFC.
>
> I've increasingly seen draft deltas go to a small off-WG audience
> before popping up when submitted as an 'official' draft just before a
> meet closing deadline; I'm not sure that this is good, since it limits
> on-list discussion before the meet.

I'm not clear that the two are related. There are few barriers to
putting out an ID, except timing. Due to the manual processing
requirements and the desire for a modicum of sanity checking, it's
infeasible to handle the burst of submissions before each IETF meeting
without including a buffer period.

This is the reason that many IDs submitted just before the deadline are
concurrently posted to newsgroups; it allows open discussion while
waiting for the burst to be processed. I agree that this isn't optimal -
IMO, any idea that isn't sufficiently solid a few weeks before the IETF
isn't sufficiently solid to warrant burning the $$ of people's time
discussing it ;-)

> I'm worried that the process will even become more formal still, if:
>
> http://ftp.ietf.org/iesg/iesg.2002-12-12
> IP     o Thomas to write (or cause to be written) a draft on "how to
>          get to Draft"

It's generally useful to help people design drafts in a way that reduces
the repeated feedback from the RFC Editor. Most venues have some
publication guidelines; it's not clear they're aiming at formalizing the
process so much as providing editorial structure.

Joe