Forwarded-> [craig at aland.bbn.com: Re: [ih] IETF as a Pentagon thing]

Dave Mills mills at mail.eecis.udel.edu
Tue Oct 30 09:23:36 PST 2001

H-W,

You are right in that our Palo Alto meeting created the INENG, later
evolved to the IETF. There was also the NSF Technical Advisory Group
(NTAG), of which I was a member until we had to shut it down circa 1986
due sunshine rules. I remember a NTAG meeting at NSF discussing the use of
ARPAnet infrastructure to support the initial NSFnet. I remember that
NSF was unhappy with the speed that ARPAnet connections could be turned
up for NSF constituents. I also remember a stipulation that was written
into the MOU that (1) Russian researchers would not be allowed access
to NSF funded supercomputer sites and (2) a mechanism would be created
to satisfy OMB requirements for charging other agencies for network use.
I thought that bit of historic delight might amuse you.

After that came the NSF Phase-I backbone 86-88. On that timeline I make the
GADS -> INENG/INARC sometime 83-84. Betcha Bob Braden has all the
documentation. All my archives are on 8" (sic) DSDD floppy disks with no
living drive to read them.

Dave