[ih] conf on history of ... networks

Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan dragon at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 27 08:18:40 PDT 2001

I'll bet that none of us expected the 4th email to this mailing list
to be about another conference!!!

I don't know anything more about this particular conference, besides that they
are encouraging meetings and discussions between historians and the
scientists/engineers.
(Braden/Partridge/Chapin/myself and others have casually discussed over the
last year putting on our own workshop version but have not acted on it.

So, here's the conference announcement that I just received.

Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan

#
#International Conference on the History of Computing and Networks
#
#Grenoble, FRANCE 2002
#
#Call for Papers
#
#
#ACONIT (Association for a Conservatory of Information Technology),
#AHTTI (Association of History of Telecommunications and Information
#Technology) and CHARME (Committee for the History of ARMEments), in
#collaboration with IMAG (Institute of Applied Mathematics in
#Grenoble), are organising an international conference on the History
#of Computing and Networks for autumn  2002.
#
#This conference provides an opportunity for meetings and discussions
#between historians who are studying, and the scientists and engineers
#who participated in the development of computing and networks. The
#following subject themes are given as examples of what might be
#discussed:
#
#Preservation and Exhibition of Computing and Telecommunication
#heritage
#
#Developments of the concepts of teaching and researching in
#computing.
#
#The role of the military in the development of computing
#
#Automation  and  robotics
#
#Computing  in medicine
#
#The impact of computer networks on software systems
#
#The evolution of standards
#
#The convergence of computing and telecommunications
#
#
#This conference is the latest the series of Computer History
#Conferences held in France in 1988 in Grenoble, 1990 in Paris, 1993 in
#Sophia-Antipolis, 1995 in Rennes and 1998 in Toulouse. An exhibition
#tracing the history of computing and networks will complement the
#conference.
#
#Papers should present information of historical interest and proposals
#of up to two pages will be accepted until 15 January 2002. Proposals
#can be emailed in electronic form in either ASCII text or RTF format
#to colloque2002 at aconit.org , or mailed in paper form to :
#
#ACONIT /Colloque 2002
#10 bis rue Ampere
#BP 267
#38016 Grenoble Cedex
#France
#
#Submissions will be examined by the program committee.
#
#Requests for support of the conference are being made from public and
#private organisations and companies and from the European Union.
#
#Full details can be found on the conference web site at
#http://www.aconit.org/colloque2002
#

--
Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan           I'm going to have a "YEAR of the dragon"+1
Computer Sciences, TAY2.124(C0500) My email addresses are: chris at cs.utexas.edu
The University of Texas at Austin     or dragon at cs.utexas.edu
Austin, TX   78712-1188            URL:  www.cs.utexas.edu/users/dragon/
+1 512 471 9546  fax: (471 8885)   Office: TAY 4.136 (pls fedex to TAY 2.124)