[ih] Early History of the Internet

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Jan 9 20:14:31 PST 2024

It appears that Jack Haverty via Internet-history <jack at 3kitty.org> said:
>2) Cerf/Kahn create the concept of interconnecting existing networks,
>and drive the implementation of the (first?) concatenation of dissimilar
>networks, first called the "catenet" and later renamed "The Internet".

It occurs to me that it might not have been obvious that you could run the
same metwork protocol over a 56K DDS line and a 3Mb Ethernet, glue the two
togeher using simple minded gateways, and it'd work.

Was this a question back in the day?  Were you suprised at how well IP scaled
with only minor tweaking along the way?

R's,
John