[ih] Early History of the Internet

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Jan 10 10:14:28 PST 2024

On 1/9/2024 8:14 PM, John Levine via Internet-history wrote:
> Were you suprised at how well IP scaled
> with only minor tweaking along the way?

I thought the collected set of revisions, done in the latter 1980s, as
the Internet scaled, were considered substantial. Seemed that way to me,
at least.

And to the extent anyone thinks the congestion control and
retransmission details provided for TCP are actually minor: Around 1988
we took over maintenance of a PC stack, from a recently departed
engineer, and eventually got very serious customer reports that it was
flooding the their network with packets.  Upon inspection, I discovered
that the TCP the engineer had written used a fixed, very short timer for
retransmission.  Given very high reliability and very high bandwidth of
a LAN, this hadn't been a problem.  As soon as the LAN was accessing the
wider, slower, less reliable Internet -- as was becoming more common by
then -- this timer's model didn't work so well...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking