[ih] Early History of the Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Jan 9 14:33:35 PST 2024

Hi Brian,

I concur - the ARPANET was not the Internet.  My personal history of
Internet "conceptual leaps" that I remember would be:

1) Licklider creates the concept of the "galactic network", and drives
it to the first stage of implementation by orchestrating the creation of
ARPANET.   Many others create networks as well, and can argue about who
was first.

2) Cerf/Kahn create the concept of interconnecting existing networks,
and drive the implementation of the (first?) concatenation of dissimilar
networks, first called the "catenet" and later renamed "The Internet".
Where the ARPANET had created a way for dissimilar computers to
communicate, The Internet created a way for dissimilar networks (and
their attached computers) to communicate.

3) Kahn promoted the conceptual shift from unified to distributed
management, so that The Internet could be managed and operated by
multiple organizations and remain interoperable.  This resulted in Eric
Rosen and I developing the concept of "autonomous systems" and
implementation of EGP and its successors.

4) The Internet executed a "conceptual leap" from being an
interconnection of networks to being a network itself, with the
recognition that Internet nodes could be interconnected not only using
existing networks, but also by using simple wires or fiber or radio
links to connect nodes.   I'm not sure who was first to think of this
(might have been me...), but I remember we implemented it at BBN while
we were responsible for operating the "core" of The Internet in the
early 1980s.

Over the years on this list I've written more about #3 and #4.  A common
theme is the coupling of a conceptual leap with actual implementation.
Concepts are just ideas until someone puts them into hardware, software,
and wetware (policies, procedures, etc.)

Licklider was my mentor and I think his philosophy infected me.  For the
8 years I worked in Lick's research group at MIT during the 1970s, other
than some students' theses I don't recall we ever wrote an academic
paper.  Instead we built hardware and wrote code. Building the Galactic
Network was Lick's passion, using collaborating computers to help people
do everything people do.

Fun times...
Jack Haverty