[ih] Early History of the Internet

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 13:00:06 PST 2024

Jack,

Thanks, that's a nice article.

But there is a bit of a category mistake. The APRPANET wasn't the
Internet. I couldn't use the APRPANET in 1971-73 when I took my
first baby steps in networking at CERN. I couldn't use it in
1974-1976 when we tried to set up an inter-university network in
New Zealand, and I still couldn't use it in 1977 back at CERN.
(There were a few lucky users in the UK and Norway by then,
of course, but it was still a network, not a catenet.)

The conceptual leap forward happened, as far as I can tell, in
~1974 thanks largely to Pouzin and it became reality in 1981
(or a little bit earlier if you admit uucp).

Regards
    Brian Carpenter