[ih] Early History of the Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Jan 9 09:33:46 PST 2024

IMHO, this essay provides a good overview of the early history leading
to the development of the Internet:

https://www.freaktakes.com/p/the-third-university-of-cambridge

Professor Licklider was my thesis advisor, and later boss, at MIT, and
from 1977 to 1990 I worked at BBN in the same group that built and
evolved the ARPANET.   The history told in the essay agrees with my
recollections of the time span when I was involved at MIT and BBN.

As told in the essay, Lick's vision of a "galactic network" was using a
collection of computers, communicating amongst themselves over some kind
of electronic means, to assist people in doing everything people do.
That was the mantra that drove creation of the ARPANET, and that we
tried (are trying) to evolve into today's Internet.

Jack Haverty
(MIT 1966-1977; BBN 1977-1990)