[ih] Speaking of layering and gateways

Greg Skinner gregskinner0 at icloud.com
Tue Apr 16 21:37:19 PDT 2024

On Apr 16, 2024, at 12:30 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
> Perhaps someone has insight into how such decisions are performed today in the Internet, how scientific methods such as OR are used, and how such decision processes have changed over the 50 years of Internet evolution.  Then compare to how its done in other environments such as transportation of goods.  This might make a good topic for some university thesis.
>
> Jack Haverty

I did a bit more googling, this time for [site:nanog.org ''combinatorial optimization''], which turned up a presentation from NANOG 52 on network planning and traffic engineering. [1]   It mentions a tool called pmacct [2] that can take various types of network data that are usable for further analysis.  Perhaps if you searched more of the network operations and measurement web sites, you’d find more of the OR-related work you’re looking for.  It seems to me that a fair amount of this type of work is being done, but if one is not part of those teams, it’s necessary to seek out the individuals belonging to those teams and places where it’s practiced.

--gregbo

[1] https://archive.nanog.org/meetings/nanog52/presentations/Sunday/maghbouleh-bestpractices-tutorial.pdf
[2] http://www.pmacct.net